The B Word

Babies. I can't remember NOT wanting one. I grew up in a large blended family (see also "Yours, Mine, and Ours") with lots of little kids around. My youngest brother will be 11 this year.

And now I'm in this limbo state, with my poor husband who is probably sick of the "How do you think you would handle (insert baby situation here)?" Please don't misunderstand me and think I want to move on as quickly as possible from having this alone time with Ben. I treasure it and adore him in the meantime. But there's something about babies, and the way they smell, and the way they would look like Ben and I, and the way someone calls you "Mommy."



 I have developed thyroid issues that make me terrified of fertility problems and birth complications. I ask myself all kinds of "What if?" questions that are irrational and dramatic and could never possibly be answered to my satisfaction. And yet...

I know it will happen at some point, one way or another, and then I won't be able to remember what it was like before the "B" word. But I can Facebook-Baby-Stalk all of my friends until then (right?).

How about y'all? Are any of you experiencing the same thing? Can anyone remember feeling this way? Any suggestions to stave off this crazy yearning??

5 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean. Even though we've only been married for a couple months, sometimes I get in baby-crazy mode too. You already kind of mentioned it, but what usually helps me is thinking about all the things that I want to do - just Kevin and I - before we start thinking about having kids. I've seen lots of people who have made pre-baby bucket lists...maybe you guys have already done this, but if not, could be a fun way to take your mind off babies, do some things together you've always talked about, and guarantee that once you DO start having kids, you'll know you made the most of your time together just as a couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not baby crazy...until I met Joey. From when we first got together I knew I wanted him to be my baby-daddy. We wanted a family first and foremost and so starting one was our #1 priority. We had issues with getting pregnant too and it took over 4 years to get pregnant with Lou so if you think you may have issues it doesn't hurt to talk to a doctor about your concerns now. It will help alleviate the what if questions and give you a real look at what you maybe facing. Oh and feel free to facebook/blog stalk my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments!

    Holl: Pre-baby bucket lists sound like a great idea! We have some vacations we want to go on right now but actually making a pre-baby bucket list might make it feel more official to me.

    Elissa: I know how you feel about knowing you wanted to have babies with Joey right away. I feel the same way about Ben. Also--I frequently blog and facebook stalk your kids. Thank you for alleviating my anxiety concerning my closeted habit lol! AND HOW CRAZY IS IT THAT THE PHI IS BECOMING SUCH A LITTLE PERSON????!!! I LOVE her new blog! I'm linking her, if that's okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute,you'll get there sweet friend. God's timing is always right. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my 24 years of life, I've formulated two thoughts on babies: 1) they're awesome, and 2) they're terrifying. I'm waiting for the two to reconcile themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete