A Cocky Nerd and an Angsty Drama Geek: Part Four


I can't tell you how liberating it was to finally be able to tell someone about this nightmare I was going through.

I found an unexpected friend in this weird kid. A few weeks later he was dumped by his girlfriend, which  he took hard. I was the first person he called. I broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks later, and Ben was the first person I called.

Because he had an aversion to the phone we spent most of our time on Mafia Wars, sending messages back and forth. We had play practice together, yearbook together and soon almost every waking moment together. We would do emails occasionally, which I'm fortunate enough to still have to this day.

We fell in love, little by little and very cautiously.

Throughout college we both started to mold each other. I became less likely to rationalize my feelings based on feelings, and Ben became more and more compassionate and insightful. We were no longer the people we were when we met, we were better for having met each other.

I can tell you that my heart recognized him as the person I would spend the rest of my life with after a few weeks, and I've never questioned that. He was, and continues to be, the place where my anxious soul feels safe, has found it's counterpart and experiences Christ's love for me on a daily basis.

Occasionally he'll ask me if he's a failure as a husband, and that's how I know he will never be a failure.

Ben: This is our story. This is how I know you will be the most amazing daddy to our kids, just as you've been the most incredible husband to me. This is what I will tell our children ad nauseam when they ask us how they will know when they've found the one. 


"But you just can't tell who you'll love and who you won't."
-Smashing Pumpkins

1 comment:

  1. this was sweet post. you two have such a unique story, and it's so cool that you shared it via blog. confession: i teared up a little during this last one.

    ReplyDelete